Thursday 2 June 2011

Camping Dash-style!



What could be better than waking up next to a loved one? Well, I’d be able to tell you if a certain greyhound hadn’t got between me and my wife when we went camping last weekend. Since we don’t have one of those tents with ‘pods’ that keep people and pets in separate sleeping compartments, everyone gets bundled in together. Dash started out on her mat at the foot of the sleeping bag, but by morning was stretched out on top of said bag, and also on top of me. On waking, the view I was treated to was straight up her nostrils (see photo above). The view was accompanied by a handsome blast of dog-breath. At least it masked my own. There’s much to be said for camping, but personal hygiene is certainly put to the test. Still, we spent a fabulous weekend in the New Forest. Half the time I was off in pursuit of Freddy, my eighteen-month-old son; the other half I was trying to keep Dash from snaffling assorted foodstuffs from the BBQ. On one occasion, she managed to nip in when I wasn't looking and bolted down a whole sweetcorn. She then proceeded to bring it up piece by piece over the next two days. Mostly outside, but once in the tent (yellow gloop everywhere!) and once in the hall when we got home. Who says vegetables are good for you? Next weekend we’re away again, but on ‘official promotional duties’ this time. Dash and I are appearing at the RGT Greyhound Extravaganza in Suffolk on Sunday 5 June. We’ll be there all day, so do pop by if you’re in the area. There’s a fun dog show, plenty of stalls and copies of ‘Dash: Bitch of the Year’ for sale. Each book is signed with a limited edition pawprint sticker. Sweetcorn stains optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment